Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I made it... (passing Greek)

They say it was not a winnowing tool.  They say it will help with our studies through seminary.  They say....they say.... but none of that was comforting as I was going through it.  I questioned my call to be there.  How was God going to use me if I could not learn biblical Greek? 

But I made it!   It was definitely the most difficult class I have ever taken.  Take any other language class and squish 2-3 semesters of it into 1.  That is what we just did.  I can now read and write Koine Greek- maybe not the best but I can wing it now. 

What interested me most was the mixed feelings about it as I was struggling to survive the semester.  All while wanting to do away with this cursed language (thoughts then) I was fascinated with the tools it was already giving me in my Bible study classes.  Odd how I cannot read the New Testament now and not wonder, is that really in the imperative? .... or some such question.  Suddenly the NT came alive for me in a whole new way.

I also learned that I still stink at grammar- no matter the language- and that I still rock vocabulary- no matter the language.  That vocabulary is what made it possible to pass this class.

If all my other undergrad classes had been this hard I would still be a sophomore! This was far worse to take this one class than taking a full schedule of grad level courses!  But I did it.  And I can only say it was through the grace of God- because I still don't understand how it suddenly began to sink in.  I am just grateful.



No comments:

Post a Comment