Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Its all Greek

Wondering how my classes are going?  Well... Greek is all I am taking right now.  Biblical Greek to be precise.  That is more than enough in my opinion. 
I am blessed that I learned enough of several languages to get myself into trouble in the matching countries, and enough of 2 others to get myself out of trouble too.  Therefore, I understand the conjugation of verbs.  I understand the definite articles of all nouns have a gender.  What is throwing me for a loop is that even adjectives, adverbs, nouns, etc are... well... sort of conjugated too, but they call it declination.  I call it torture.

Vocabulary of Greek is actually pretty easy and the family has been wonderful about using my flash cards to quiz me.  So, while I learn Greek, they are too.  Well, maybe just vocabulary?  What I do notice is the flashbacks of spelling bees and Latin in Middle School and those memories remind me of what my kids lives are like right now.  I will not look a gift horse in the mouth- any opportunity to bond with them or understand them is precious.

Back to Greek though. I may sound whiny.  I can admit it,  I am a bit.  English grammar is hard enough, then twist it into Greek and anyone would have nightmares.  Yet, I am actually enjoying the challenge.  I am learning from new texts (Septuagint) and getting to understand the depth of meaning in the original texts.  It really opens my eyes and my heart is being fed too.  Suddenly new doors are opening and I am more excited than ever to be in Seminary- even in the throws of sheer misery while seeking to grasp Greek grammar. 

What's next? 

No comments:

Post a Comment